June 15, 2008

My Pops, My Old Man, My Friend


My Dad is a great human.
Edgar Martin Seay.
His story escapes me so often and i fail to share it because it seems so unlikely and far fetched.

He was born in Tokyo,Japan - a city of leave for his mother and father who were both fighting in the Korean war.

He was born May 31,1950.
His father was killed a few weeks later.
His mother passed only a few years after that.

He was raised by a loving grandmother and a firm grandfather who drove trucks with 1 arm, having lost the other in a bar shoot out (not far from where our church is today).

He found God and then music as a teenager growing up in our hometown of Houston,Tx.

As a 20 year old music leader he met my mother Cindy, the daughter of his pastor & boss. My grandfather, Robert Baldwin, was not a man that many would view as allowing any guy to date his daughter, much less marry in her late teens.
Ed Seay ignored such warning and followed love and seemingly lives to tell about it. (Thanks to Papa for not killing him)

He is a man that, for years, had no living relatives on his side. None.
Can you believe that?
He never used that as a crutch or allowed it to define him.
After marrying Mom 37 years ago, they are more in love than ever.

A man who carried the Seay name all alone now has 5 kids & 15 grandkids.

He has served faithfully as a pastor at the same church for the last 18 years, during which time he earned his doctorate in theology & serves on the board of trustees of his alma mater, Houston Baptist University.

My dad loves God deeply.
He loves people sincerely.
He adores his family immensely.
He doesn't give a crap about status or wealth.
He loves golf, the Beatles & buying every toy ever invented for his wild grandkids.

He is a father who told me to pursue music when nobody was listening to my albums.
He is a Dad who told me to marry for love and not worry about the rest.
He is a friend who balances reason with great abandon and lives life fully.
He is a parent who I long for my kids to emulate.

Pops - we love you.
Happy Fathers Day to my hero.
-Robbie

5 comments:

Cindy Seay said...

He is the best. Thanks for doing such a great job of describing who he is.
i love you,
mom

olivia and henry said...

wow, robbie. what an amazing father. thanks for sharing this with us! what a wonderful tribute and a wonderful dad. angie

Anonymous said...

That is our Dad - - well said my brother!

Chris

jjisdynomite said...

Wow, I don't know you and this post brought tears to my eyes. Now I'm sitting here in my office at work hoping no one comes in to see a grown man turned misty.

By the way, I'm new to it but I really love your music.

God bless both you and your dad.

Chris Owens said...

I'm sure that this is the best Father's Day gift your Dad has ever received.